Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Frst proper outdoor ride of the season

Although I have been riding all winter, tonight was the first ride with tights and proper shoes. I did an hour on my commuter focusing purely on spinning. It felt very good to be back on the bike and hopefully in a few days I will be able to bring out my road bike to the park. No salt.

Update on my fixed gear bike:
I have got my cranks sorted and will start with a 42.
My frame will be going in to get resprayed shortly.
I am contiplating on some deep-v rims (Mavics)
the rest of the parts are ready to go on once I get the frame back from the painters.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt with the hair said...

Good to hear you're getting out for rides now. Perhaps the Mavic CXP 22 would be a good rim for the fixie. I have similar rims on my C-Dale and they have proven exceptionally resilient. They would allow you to run brakes or not. Deep section is a good plan since flat spotting the rear is more likely on the fixie than a regular coaster.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt,

Those are exactly the rims that I am considering.
I plan on running a front brake only so a braking area is needed. I ran them on my old Cannondale road bike many years ago and loved them.

I am considering bringing my road bike out tonight for a ride in Gatineau park. I figure it should be clear by now. Only one way to find out...

8:20 AM  
Blogger Matt with the hair said...

Yeah buddy, giv'er! Who know's, perhaps it'll be mostly clear. At least you know there won't be any salt on it.

For your wheels, double butted DTs would be nice. I'm using them on my MTB wheels and they are going great. If you tell me what your hubs are I can figure out the spoke lengths you'll need so that you can order the stuff up. I'll build them for you once I'm back if the timing works for you.

6:40 AM  
Blogger croskery said...

Well I can say that it is pretty clear. Some spots are a little sketchy but all in all its good.

I ride DT db spokes as well. Great spoke.

As for wheelbuilding, I can do it but I find it frustrating so help would be welcome.

I am taking my frame in this week to get sprayed!
I am looking at pea soup colour or a deeper green/blue. Something that Benotto would have used for there paint scemes.

Clearcoat is an extra 75 so I may not bother putting the decals on. I should be riding the bike in a couple of weeks.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home